Tuesday, February 28, 2012

New Disease: The Dwarven Sprue

Thanks to Dr. Sean aka Honus, B.A. (Barbarian Adventurer), for coining the name of this disease when explaining why Borriz the Dwarf couldn't accompany them on an adventure.

Dwarven Sprue, Respirator Agent; resisted by HT-2; 24 hour onset; 1 pt toxic damage, fatigue-based; cyclic (6 hour cycles, 12 cycles). Symptoms include fever, runny nose, sore throat, coughing, dizziness, and general fatigue (-1 to all attribute rolls) from start of onset; if victim is reduced to 1/3 FP or below, he or she also suffers from nausea (p. B428).

Dwarves are especially vulnerable to this disease, and resist at a further -2 (HT-4).

The Dwarven Sprue is easily diagnosed (+2 on Diagnosis rolls) due to fever and the characteristic discoloration of the skin (victims appear a little gray).

I seemed to have picked this up last week, or something like it. It hit me full-force on Sunday, forcing me to cancel game. I'm still shaking it off, but there is no way I'm passing up a chance to stat up the Dwarven Sprue for my game.

6 comments:

  1. So what if a Grey Dwarf catches it? Then they only have a fever to go by?

    Interesting, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I hadn't thought of grey dwarves. I'm not sure I'm using them in my DF game or not. Probably not - it's more fun to just make extremely depraved dwarves instead of a whole race of them. :)

      You know, like, when dwarves go bad, they go very, very bad indeed.

      Delete
  2. Or maybe, the disease would effect grey dwarves differently if left untreated? Maybe have them develop something akin to a form of rabies - have them frothing at the mouth and going feral until cured?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, you essentially create a new disease and say:

      "The Dwarven Sprue affects grey dwarves differently. For grey dwarves, effects are as the normal dwarven sprue except as follows:

      Resisted by HT-4. When the victim is reduced to 1/3 FP or less, he or she also will foam at the mouth, suffer from nausea (p. B428), and gains the disadvantage Berserk (12)."

      Or something to that effect.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this. It's definitely stolen. I hope you don't mind if I convert this for 3.x Edition and repost with appropriate credit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm very flattered you enjoy it enough to use it. Go for it! Just link back to this post or put my name on it (Peter Dell'Orto) or both.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...